BRUSSELS – Montenegro will increase the number of its soldiers in Afghanistan, defence minister of Montenegro Predrag Bošković said, CdM reports.
NATO secretary general announced on Thursday that the alliance would send more troops to Afghanistan and that 15 countries had already pledged to contribute the Resolute Support mission.
Bošković participated at the meeting of the North Atlantic Council (NAC) at the level of NATO defence ministers held in Brussels. For the first time, Montenegro participated in this meeting as a full member of the alliance.
Asked whether Montenegro would be among the countries that would send more troops to Afghanistan, Bošković answered affirmatively.
“Montenegro will increase its presence in Afghanistan by some ten percent. What is most important is that Montenegro will be in the command team, so there will be no classical troops in the field,” he told reporters after the ministerial meeting in Brussels.
Speaking about the modernisation of the Montenegrin armed forces, Bošković recalled that it was created after the breakup of a large army, and that in 2006 everyone willing to be a part of Montenegrin armed forces was allowed to stay.